It is difficult to ignore an empowered woman. All of us are automatically drawn to her because it so apparently obvious that she belongs to a realm that she has created for herself. She operates from this space and is always in control of her life. That realm that she has created for herself is what empowers her. Physical beauty, her butt and bust size, her complexion and her lovely long hair and sparkling eyes have nothing to do with it. That is the first clarification that needs the most attention simply because subconsciously we still relate a woman to her physical beauty.
This realm that we are discussing is actually a beautiful complex blend of five different realms and aspects of her life. They are – the physical/mental/emotional/spiritual and cultural realms.
Her physical realm:
- She takes great pride in dressing up the way she wants to. She openly questions people who dare to raise their eyebrows about her physical appearance
- Soft simple cotton clothes, a Benarasi saree, a pair of jeans or a pair of shorts or a bikini, make up or no make up, elaborate hair styles or the simple plait or pony – she wears what she wants whenever she wants to and chooses her own wardrobe with care. Married or unmarried – does not matter -she knows that the clothes that she wears are just a projection of one aspect of her personality.
- She works round the clock happily and willingly for her family. She balances her work and her family and her life with élan. She expects her spouse and all her family members to shoulder and share all the physical responsibilities around the home so that she can completely focus on her professional life too. The same woman who signs the cheque for her employees will also wield the jhadu around the house but expects her spouse to do the same too!
- She knows the value of the three day touch me not complete isolation concept when she gets her periods month after month. She would love to simply give her body the physical rest that it requires but she knows that it’s time to redefine even her physical boundaries so that she can lead her life more fruitfully.
- She is conscious about the health of the entire family and is personally interested in cooking nutritious meals for them.
- She takes care of her own body by exercising regularly and eating healthy food on time.
- She knows that only if she is healthy, she will be happy and only then can the people around her ever be happy.
Her mental realm:
- Educated or uneducated – simply does not matter. An empowered woman keeps herself fruitfully engaged mentally all the time. She may not be contributing to the family kitty – but she saves a pretty buck by cutting down on unnecessary frivolous expenses.
- Ekta Kapoor serials drive her crazy. She is progressive in her outlook and careful about the mental diet that she feeds her mind.
- She thrives on good books, discussions with likeminded people, learning new things and skills all the time!
- She reflects, introspects and questions all the subconscious belief systems that have been passed down in her family.
- She knows which beliefs will work in her current context and which will not.
- She seeks the support of her family to let go of outdated belief systems and creates new ones that she knows work best for the entire family now.
Her emotional realm:
- A lady who is aware of her own inhibitions, fears, struggles and insecurities, she knows that she is human enough to make umpteen mistakes in a day.
- She accepts all her limitations and consciously works to create a better more mature version of herself.
- She is also open to new experiences and knows where her strengths and passions lie.
- Fiercely protective about all her family members she is open and transparent in all her dealings with them. Her brutal blunt honesty with her immediate family keeps the entire family grounded and this requires immense courage indeed! She steers the entire family in the right direction by forcing them to confront their mistakes.
- Tears, tantrums, temper outbursts and open conflict may be a natural consequence of such ugly confrontations. But she will do so anyway.
- She shed copious silent tears all through the night herself, retreats into her inner self to seek strength but bounces back to normal the next day.
- Her gestures reflect the kindness and genuineness of her thoughts and feelings. She cares enough to forgive others and let bygones be bygones – repeatedly if necessary!
- Intuitive by nature, she knows when to give and when to demand. She may listen to a hundred different opinions and suggestions – but follows her instincts and intuition all the time!
Her spiritual realm:
- Keeps changing according to her age, priorities, her personal familial context and her moods!!
- She says Hi to God and chats with him regularly even when people think she is crazy. At other times she is a picture of pure devotion when she humbly prays and bows down to a higher force. Often she argues with God and demands justice. Very often she finds him in her own silence!
- God is her constant companion and guiding force. Rituals, prayers and elaborate ceremonies give her peace of mind and strength but she does not enforce these beliefs and concepts on the younger generation.
- She is cautious about being rigid in her spiritual outlook and thinks twice about blindly following binding regressive rituals that may require a lot of time, money and energy at a later stage in life.
- God is a personal connection for her with her inner self and she constantly finds ways and means of touching base with Him.
- She may not light a diya every evening because she is working but she will always think twice before uttering a sharp heart breaking remark to someone who made a big mistake. That too is God for her……….her silence comes from the strength that she finds within her!!
The cultural realm:
- The beautiful tall idol of Gods and Goddesses, the dhoop, the deep, the aarti, the fresh fragrant flowers, the ringing bells and the Prasad from the temples hold a deep significance for her.
- The beautiful drape of that Kanchivaram saree, the lovely red round bindi, the tinkling anklets, the shimmering glass bangles, the elegant gold ear drops, the stunning diamond necklace all add a touch of class to her great character and personality.
- She respects all the spiritual and cultural norms of her country and intuitively follows them whenever she feels like it.
- No one can ever compel her to do what she does not believe in. She does things at her pace and her convenience!
- She may be branded as a moody persona or a complex character that is difficult to understand – but she cares a damn about other people’s opinions in her personal choices.
- She visits the mandirs, masjids or gurudwaras to learn about the culture and concepts of other religions and incorporates the best ones in her life when she knows it is right.
- She may not cook sakkarai pongal on Makar Sankranti – but she will help the maid with the household chores and quietly pay the tuition fee for her daughter!
- She appreciates the values of all her cultural traditions yet has the quiet courage to change them with the times!
- She is practical and sensible yet kind and sensitive at the same time!
Defining a woman is a complex phenomenon. Understanding one may take a lifetime! To an empowered woman – it does not matter if the whole world does not understand her – it is always more than enough if she understands herself because she knows what she is doing and why. A beautiful blend of such ethereal realms – she is a woman who promises to positively transform the world one soul at a time!